Broadcasting Services

SABC Refutes Claims Shutting African-Language Stations

The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) is refuting claims that it will be closing its radio services, particularly African-language stations. The broadcaster said that reports that African-language news bulletins on free-to-air television channels were being discontinued "are completely false".
 
On Wednesday afternoon, reports emerged on social media that the public broadcaster is shutting down the IsiNdebele news desk.
 
The SABC released a statement saying this is not true, the organisation was also faced with similar allegations in November last year. Acting SABC spokesperson Mmoni Seapolelo said the broadcaster understands the importance its radio network and how millions of South Africans rely on it "On the contrary, the radio stations' proposed structures are promoting and supporting the current needs of audiences, such as digital accessibility," Seapolelo said.
 
She reiterated that the SABC was fully committed to its public mandate of informing, educating and entertaining South African citizens in all their official languages. Meanwhile, the Communication Workers' Union said from next week Monday; it would be embarking on a labour action against the retrenchment. The CWU's Aubrey Tshabalala said they had the support of the Broadcasting, Electronic, Media & Allied Workers Union (BEMAWU) and both unions will be picketing side by side.
 
"We are still working on a plan of action on how we will navigate the level 3 regulations. We are still looking at creative ways on how to deal with them," Tshabalala said.
 
 





Share this post