BON Acting Chairman -Sir Godfrey Ohuabunwa, Appointed Member Of Nigeria NBC Reform Committee
The Acting Chairman of BON and CEO of Gospell Digital Technology, Sir Godfrey Ohuabunwa, has been appointed as a member of the Nigeria NBC Reform Committee By the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed.
The chosen committee consists of seven members in total and will focus on the implementation of various reforms within the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC).
In his address at the inauguration in Abuja on Thursday 10 October, the Minister said that the reforms were part of the suggestions from a committee which he had earlier set up on the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari over the grossly unprofessional and unethical conduct of some of the nation’s broadcast stations, especially before and during the most recent general elections.
He listed some of the key highlights of the recommendations that had been approved by the President, including the much-needed review of the National Broadcasting Code and the upward review of fines from $1300 to $13 000 for violations relating to hate speech, indecency and inciting comments; a station’s repeat of infractions on three occasions after being fined to attract a suspension of license.
Another critical recommendation from the previous committee was the for the violation pertaining to political comments with hate speech and a divisive undertone to be upgraded to ”Class A” offence in the nation’s Broadcasting Code.
The Terms of Reference of the newly appointed Implementation Committee, as listed by the Minister, include to immediately begin work on all statutory, regulatory and legal framework for further action on the review of the NBC Act by the National Assembly; to also immediately assess and propose new equipment and training needed to modernise and re-position the NBC.
The committee members that were inaugurated are:
- Sir Godfrey Ohuabunwa, the Acting Chairman of the Broadcasting of Nigeria (BON) and CEO of Gospell Digital Technology
- Prof Armstrong Idachaba, the Director of Monitoring of the NBC
- J.K. Ehicheoya, the Director, Legal Services, Federal Ministry of Information and Culture
- Hajia Binta Adamu Bello, the Secretary of Association for Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON)
- Ibrahim Jimoh, Director of Administration, FRCN
- Hon. Agbo Kingsley Ndubuisi, Board Member, NBC
- Joe Mutah, the Chief Press Secretary for the Ministry of Information and Culture
Prof Idachaba has been named the Chairman of the Committee, while Mr Mutah will be the Secretary.