Sports Rights

SuperSport Will No Longer Air CAF Content After Termination Of Contract

Following the termination by the Confederation of African Football (CAF) of its agreement with Lagardère, SuperSport has announced that it will no longer be broadcasting CAF content, starting with the AFCON under-23 championship, kicking off in Egypt this weekend, until further notice. This also includes the AFCON qualifiers, which begin on Wednesday, 13 November.

The MultiChoice Group Executive for Corporate Affairs, Joe Heshu, said that Supersport is in a difficult position where it cannot broadcast the CAF games without a firm contract in place.
SuperSport had previously bought these broadcast rights from Lagardère.

Last week CAF scrapped a $1 billion TV and marketing rights deal with Lagardere Sports following separate judgments that it had violated competition rules. Still, Lagardere said that it would fight to enforce the contract.

The French-based firm called the Confederation of African Football's (CAF) move unreasonable, unlawful and unjustified and said that it would defend its contract with CAF that is supposed to run from 2017 to 2028.

It suggested that it might accept changes to the terms of the agreement but that if all else fails, it would be seeking compensation in cash.

CAF said that it had no choice but to cancel the contract after two court judgments went against it.

Last November, a Cairo court ruled that the agreement violated Egyptian competition rules because Lagardere was chosen as CAF's exclusive agent for media and marketing rights for an uninterrupted 20-year period without any open tender.
The court then fined CAF 100 million Egyptian pounds ($6.2 million).

The CAF said that given the above developments, it had no choice but to terminate the agreement.


Credit: This article originated from www.iol.co.za





Share this post