Sports Rights

MultiChoice And SABC To Resolve South Africa's PSL Blackout – Sports Minister

Sports Minister Nathi Mthethwa has announced that the SABC and Pay-TV service provider, Multichoice, will find a resolution to the PSL broadcast rights predicament which has led to the blackout of local football at the country's public broadcaster.

Mthethwa said this after a meeting he and the Communications Minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams had with Multichoice's CEO Calvo Mawela, Chairman Imtiaz Patel, and the Chairman of the Premier Soccer League (PSL), Irvin Khoza.

In a statement, Mthethwa revealed that the meeting had paved the way for an effective and long-term solution to the clash that has resulted in PSL matches not being aired on the public broadcaster.

Mthethwa said that all affected parties would meet again within 48 hours in an effort to solve the matter which has denied many South Africans access to local football since the start of the league season over two weeks ago.

Mthethwa added that after this last interaction, he is confident that a resolution would be imminent as of Thursday.

The SABC had already stated that paying for the rights at their current value of $18.4 million for 144 games per year was not at all commercially viable, as the cash-strapped public broadcaster predicted that it would make a revenue of just $3 million per year.

 

Credit: This article originated from www.sowetanlive.co.za





Share this post