Broadcasting Services

South Africa: SABC Acting COO Resigns

The acting chief operations officer of South Africa's cash-strapped national broadcaster has resigned.

Craig van Rooyen, who will exit the SABC on September 9, jumps ship after only three months as acting COO.His resignation comes just after the state-owned radio and television broadcasting entity blacked out Absa Premier Soccer League games on all of its platforms.

The radio stations that have a listenership of approximately 30-million people were not even allowed to mention the scores of the PSL matches.

SABC's spokesperson Vuyo Mthembu said that Van Rooyen's resignation is not because of the contentious soccer rights but is due to personal reasons.
Van Rooyen said that the resignation had been a tough decision to make.

In a media statement, the SABC board's chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini thanked Van Rooyen for his contributions in preparing the SABC for the upcoming digital migration and also helping in making it a multiplatform and multichannel player.

Van Rooyen stepped into the role of acting COO after Chris Maroleng was fired in April. The vacancy has since been advertised.

Makhathini said that in order to ensure a smooth transition, the board would start interviewing candidates for the COO position this week while the role of Group Executive: Technology would soon be advertised.

 

 

Credit: This article originated from www.sowetanlive.co.za





Share this post